Apply for PSE's Community Sounding Board
Puget Sound Energy is convening a Community Sounding Board to help inform our routing process for a new transmission line to improve electric reliability on Bainbridge Island. Applications will be accepted through Jan. 21, 2020.
Electric reliability on the island needs to be improved. In finding solutions, PSE committed to exploring new technologies. Our proposed plan is a unique solution designed for Bainbridge Island – combining new technologies and grid infrastructure to ensure safe, dependable power for families and businesses for years to come. We will partner with the community to implement these solutions.
PSE has provided electric service to Bainbridge Island since the early 20th century, serving a population increasing from under 1,000 residents in 1950 to nearly 25,000 today.
We are working together with our customers to create a better energy future. Recently, we’ve made actions to:
- Reduce our carbon footprint.
- Work with the Washington State Legislature to craft feasible 100% clean electricity legislation.
- Address the island’s electric needs.
It’s no secret electric reliability on Bainbridge Island needs to be improved. We’ve talked about this over the past few years and as recently as this summer. You’ve been vocal in asking us to find solutions that improve reliability, meet this community’s growing energy needs and align with the community’s values.
PSE recently completed a detailed assessment on Bainbridge Island’s electric system needs. The Needs Assessment identified known and new issues.
PSE and third-party experts then developed a Solutions Report to analyze potential solutions to meet these needs. The report studied the feasibility of both traditional wires solutions and innovative non-wires solutions.
Our proposed plan is a unique solution crafted for Bainbridge Island. The project package combines new technologies and grid infrastructure to ensure safe, dependable power for families and businesses for years to come.
These projects are designed to:
- Improve electric service reliability, reducing the frequency and duration of power outages for customers on Bainbridge Island.
- Successfully meet the increasing power needs of Bainbridge Island for years to come.
- Support the electrification of the Washington State Ferries.
- Deploy new technologies that will help postpone building a new substation. These technologies maximize opportunities for conservation and innovation and may help reduce our carbon footprint.
PSE will continue to invest in projects to improve reliability on the distribution system that serves neighborhoods.
New transmission line and rebuild the aging Winslow Tap to improve reliability
New 3.3 MW battery energy storage system to add additional capacity
Targeted conservation and demand response tools to reduce demand
Over the next year, we'll work with the community on these projects. We need your help: